Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Oh Bother

Ya know...I was having an interesting conversation with my wife the other night. I brought up Winnie the Pooh and why the sign above his door says Mr. Sanders. Well it all led to why Winnie say's "Oh Bother". She mentioned that he is actually trying to say, "Oh Brother". We went back and forth on this topic with no apparent victor.

My argument: He really is saying and meaning, "Oh Bother" because something is bothering him.

She says Oh Brother.

What do you think?

5 comments:

birdman said...

he is from the North-East so I go with "Oh bother" actually he should be saying "Wicked Oh Bother"

ninjunkie951 said...

Well I did find out this fact off answers.com...

The sign over Pooh's door says "Mr Sanders," though the name is not Pooh's. The reason for this name is because, in the original book, it is mentioned that Pooh lived under the name of "Sanders" (that meant that he had the name on a sign above his door, and he lived underneath it).

NotTheDoctor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
NotTheDoctor said...

Ok - I am a TRUE Winnie-the-Pooh fan from way back!

I think that you might be right...for once! "Oh, Bother!" is a phrase that can be used like "Oh brother". may be it is the 'English" part of the bear that would never say "oh Brother"?!?!

Here is what I found for you"

"Oh, bother!

A phrase to express annoyance.

The wonderful thing about "Oh, bother!" is that you can only use it effectively in situations that are mildly annoying or inconvenient. The phrase is too incongruent in situations of real distress. "

(idea) by Habakkuk (print)Fri Jul 13 2001 at 15:24:38

the mama said...

I LOVE WINNIE-THE-POOH... I MOST LOVE IT WHEN MY 5 YEAR OLD WILL PUT HER HAND TO HER HEAD AND SAY "THINK!THINK!THINK" AND I HAVE FOUND MYSELF SAYING "OH BOTHER"...