Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Death of a Blog

Today is the last day that Bean will write on his infamous Bean's Blog. It reminds me of the last day that KNAC was on the air here in Los Angeles. The station went off the air in 1995 and on its final day, was DJ'd by Lars and James from Metallica with the final song being Fade to Black. I clearly remember this because my cousin and I stayed home from school and taped the entire show. The ending of Bean's blog, I think will remain with its readers as the final KNAC show has stayed with me. As with the Fade to Black being the appropriate finish to KNAC, Tater-Tot walking away from the camera was the perfect way to end the blog. Kudos to a guy who didn't have to bring his personal life to us; to someone who wrote on a daily basis and if he couldn't would provide pictures in place of words. Kudos bean as we fade to black

FADE TO BLACK- Metallica

Life it seems, will fade away
Drifting further everyday
Getting lost within myself
Nothing matters no one else
I have lost the will to live
Simply nothing more to give
There is nothing more for me
Need the end to set me free

Things not what they used to be
Missing one inside of me
Deathly lost this can't be real
Emptiness is filling me
To the point of agony
Growing darkness taking dawn
I was me, but now he's gone

No one but me can save myself, but it's too late
Now I can think, think why I should even try

Yesterday seems as though it never existed
Death greets me warm, now I will just say goodbye

3 comments:

D.O.M. Dan said...

Your post is a fitting tribute to Bean’s final post. I can relate to your radio station going-off-the-air story, but in a timeframe way before: When KMET (94.7) changed formats around 1986 to what is now the Wave really bummed me out.

birdman said...

your missing a line of lyrics in the second paragraph after "deathly loss this cant be real" which I believe is "can't understand this pain I feel"

DiceGRRL said...

What a memory. I left LA shortly after the death of KNAC. I was once a good/close friend of "Pounding Pat" who did the Metallica show. I have a lot of KNAC studio memories and special access memories too. The places I would have never gone without KNAC.