Monday, August 07, 2006

The White Album

Intro: First of all I'm going to try and do this off the top of my head so if I get the facts wrong or confused I apologize.

A little history about myself. I didn't really start getting into rock n roll until 1998 while taking a Bach to Rock class in high school. I was a fan of Nirvana and 311 but I didn't have any interest in knowing anything else about the bands and just wanted to hear the music. Bach to Rock class changed that as I was introduced to a band that changed rock music history as we know it; This band...The Beatles.

The Beatles "White Album" is up there as one of my favorite albums of all time as it features many genres including folk, country, rock, psychodelic/goa, hiphop, funk, and blues all mixed in together which is to this date the only album I know that is like this. The album itself was given its name the "White Album" simply because the album sleeve was white with the words The Beatles embossed in an off center fashion on the cover. There is nothing on the sleeve or vinyl itself that gives it that name "White Album". The album was produced in 1968 by George Martin and Chris Thomas during one of The Beatles most frustrated times that they have ever had together. At this time The Beatles were heavily involved with Maharishi Yogi in India as well as experimenting with new types of hallucinogen drugs not to mention the involvement of Yoko Ono was at its highest level.

After returning from India to record this album, John Lennon and Paul McCartney were very frustrated with each other so much that they recorded the album in two separate studios with two separate producers (names mentioned above). Paul wanted the Beatles to go in one direction with their musical style and wanted to separate John from Yoko. John wanted to do his style harder/darker rock and was very much in love with Yoko and was tired of hearing all the crap the rest of the Beatles were dishing out about their relationship. On top of that, the Beatles mentor/idol/teacher the Maharishi of India was accused of trying to rape Mia Farrow which led to the departure of the Beatles from India.

According to George Martin, Paul wanted to record this album with a softer melodic style as John wanted a psychedelic, harder, darker style thus leading to Paul and John having lead sing their style and their own songs throughout the album.

Some McCartney Songs:

Helter Skelter: Paul actually wanted to spice things up with Helter Skelter making it the hardest rocking song he's ever written. The reason he wrote it this heavy was his response to The Who's "I can see For Miles" track which was pretty heavy. The heavy guitar rifts, and lyrics influenced many people including none other than Charles Manson. Manson heard these lyrics and believed that it was a warning of a race war. He thought of the Beatles as the Four Angels of the Apocalypse and dubbed the race war Helter Skelter. Helter Skelter is also a ride in Great Britian.

Some other songs credited to McCartney are Blackbird, Ob-la-di Ob-la-da, Rocky Racoon, Honey Pie.

Funny story about "Ob-la-di Ob-la-da". The opening piano part to the song was recorded many many times by a very drug induced Paul McCartney. Finally after twenty or so tries, John Lennon came into the studio and yelled, "I am higher right now than I have ever been, Higher than you've ever been, Higher than you'll ever be, and the opening should go like this..." and he played the opening piano line which was recorded and put on the album

Some Lennon Songs:

Yer Blues: This song was recorded due to the rising popularity of Blues music and the decline in psychedelic. John pretty much said you want your blues music well here are yer blues. The lyrics refer to him missing Yoko back when they were in India.

Dear Prudence: This was written to Mia Farrow's sister who was in India with them at the time. She was very shy and didn't want to come out of her room she was staying in.

Revolution 9: The most psychedelic record on this album and the first goa type of song that I know of. This had really early electronica in there as there are different sound bites from television shows some played backwards; creepy screams and noises in a surround sound format. Awesome!

Some other notable tracks are As My Guitar Gently Weeps which Eric Clapton was brought onto record.
"Goodnight" is an awesome lullaby which the music was written by Ringo Starr while lyrics were provided by John Lennon. Very soft, melodic, McCartney style song that Lennon would sing to his son at night time. Personally my favorite song on the disc as it seemed to bring a perfect close to this album.

Actual Track list

Disc 1:
Back in the U.S.S.R.
Dear Prudence
Glass Onion
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Wild Honey Pie
Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Happiness Is a Warm Gun
Martha My Dear
I'm So Tired
Blackbird
Piggies
Rocky Raccoon
Don't Pass Me By
Why Don't We Do It in the Road?
I Will
Julia

Disc 2:
Birthday
Yer Blues
Mother Nature's Son
Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
Sexy Sadie
Helter Skelter
Long, Long, Long
Revolution 1
Honey Pie
Savoy Truffle
Cry Baby Cry
Revolution 9
Good Night

-The outcome of this album had Martin, being frustrated with all the drugs and fighting had a breakdown and left producing this album in the middle of its recording and to this day cannot listen to the White Album.

-It was voted one of the top ten albums ever made.

-Its on my freakin blog

5 comments:

D.O.M. Dan said...

Well done! And if you really wrote that off the top of your head, I’m even more impressed. I’ve been a Beatles fan since they were still together. I can still recall an uncle of mine buying the White Album after its release, and my dad recording it on our “reel-to-reel”.

It would be very hard for me to commit to a favorite Beatle song, but as far as a favorite album, The Beatles (the White Album) ranks about tied for 2nd. I prefer disc 1, and particularly like the way these three songs follow each other: “Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill”, “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”, and “Happiness Is A Warm Gun”.

Good job on your post!

ninjunkie951 said...

Thanks for the comment! Yes it did come off the top of my head. For some reason I have all this information in my head but need a trigger to release it.

birdman said...

If I can get it back from another co-worker, I have an issue of Guitar World that did a great write up on the making of "Revolver" that I think you would like.

The Wrider said...

I had no idea how much was behind the making of the White Album. I have not been a real fan of The Beatles, although I certainly understand and can appreciate their influence on music across the globe. I like knowing behind the scenes stuff when it comes to recording. What most people seem to forget is that most bands started in someone's garage with a dream. They try to take the raw-ness away from them when that is what gave them their individuality. They try and smooth over the rough edges.

Thanks for this blog! It was great!

R said...

Wait a sec..."high school" and "1998" were in the same sentence.